Welcome to Nishmat Am! The family you’ve been looking for!!!
Do you love to shop at Amazon.com? Support Nishmat Am by shopping through smile.amazon.com! See below…
Dear Members and Friends
Due to the announced COVID-19 pandemic in the area, and to keep everyone safe, Nishmat Am applied some changes for the upcoming services and events. Please refer below for more information and guidance.
Dear Members and Friends!
Message from Rabbi Cohen
We write this letter to bring you up to date on matters of COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on Nishmat Am and its activities.
In all the actions we take, we are doing all we can to safeguard the health and the well-being of our community and to reduce any community spread of the virus. We are taking these steps as advised by the CDC, local officials and government and health agencies and as approved by our Board of Directors, as well as guidelines of Jewish law.
- Friday Night and Shabbat morning services are canceled. We encourage you to recite Shabbat prayers individually and to review the parsha of the week on your own.
- The Gala honoring Rabbi Yitzchak Cohen for his 50 years of service in the community – Event was rescheduled and will take place on Sunday, November 1st!!!
- Religious School will be suspended until further notice. Alma Ben-Yaakov will be contacting Religious School families to discuss logistics for the Spring Semester and plans for personal home study.
- The synagogue will not sponsor a community seder on either the first or second night of Passover. We would, however, ask that – if you feel comfortable – to let us know if you would be willing to host one or two people at either seder. There are some people in need of a seder to attend. We encourage you, however, to limit the number of invitees.
- Upcoming programs – Movie Night on Wed March 18 and Women Love to Learn on Thursday March 19th are being postponed.
- We have appended “some helpful guidelines” at the end of this e-mail.
We will continue to keep you apprised of events at the synagogue and any other changes. Do not hesitate to call or write back with any questions or concerns you may have.
Allen Landerman, President
Congregation Nishmat Am
Some helpful Guidelines
- How can I help protect myself? The best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to the virus that causes COVID-19.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Get your flu shot – it’s not too late.
- What are the symptoms of COVID-19? Patients with COVID-19 have had mild to severe respiratory illness with symptoms of:
Shortness of breath
- If you are sick, to keep from spreading respiratory illness to others, you should:
- Contact your health care provider for guidance.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Finally, keep informed of government actions. Last night Dallas County declared a public health emergency and implemented a number of steps related to prohibiting mass gathering (over 500 people). Staying informed is crucial to keeping any spread of this virus to a minimum.
Rabbi Cohen’s 50th Anniversary
Event was rescheduled and will take place on Sunday, November 1st!
Please stay tuned for more details.
The Altman Family Religious School is now taking applications for the 2019-2020 school year.
Three Ways to Support Nishmat AM
You can now connect your Kroger Plus Shoppers Card to benefit Nishmat Am. Go to their website to register, or if you already have an account sign in and select Nishmat Am from the list or enter #83881.
Every time you use your Tom Thumb Rewards card you’ll be helping Nishmat Am. Just click on the link below to print out the Good Neighbor Program form and take it with you the next time you shop at Tom Thumb. On the form the Charity # for Nishmat Am is: 12057
Click here for the Good Neighbor Program form.
The Nishmat Am Social Center is now available to rent for your next special occasion, meeting or event!
It is also available during the week if you have a class to offer and are looking for a location.
Affiliate of The United Synagogue
For Conservative Judaism